Monday, September 10, 2007

Maria's Resolve

Racqonteur always wonders how champions faced with painful losses sort things out. Here, courtesy of 3rd round U.S. Open loser Maria Sharapova's website, is one player's perspective:

"I didn't leave my mom at the age of 7 for nothing. I didn't spend 6 hours a day practicing in the Florida sun at the age of 9 for nothing. I didn't spend those extra hours on the back courts with my dad figuring out if I'm going to play right-handed or left-handed for nothing. I didn't sleep in little cots for 3 years eating oatmeal out of a packet, while playing ITF's in the middle of nowhere for nothing. And I certainly didn't sit at the kitchen table, way past dinner, perfecting Russian essays and math equations until they met my mother's standards, for nothing. All this has helped me build character and there's no greater asset than being able to stand up for yourself. No matter how many losses I will have in my career, I will always know what has brought me to this point.....and that's hard work."

How's that for a tough cookie? Can't wait to see Maria battle back on the lightning fast late season indoor carpet and hardcourts.

No comments: